Today’s eMemo contains the following updates:
- Clarification on the Provincial Restart Plan to Safely Bring People Back Together Announced on Tuesday, May 25, 2021
As many of you may be aware, Tuesday, May 25 was a big day for the citizens of BC. Premier John Horgan, together with Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and BC’s Minister of Health, Adrian Dix announced BC’s Restart Plan, involving four steps with projected timelines. Each step is expected to bring a gradual easing of restrictions over the coming months.
Regarding the lifting of any sector-specific restrictions, consultation is expected to begin after June 15, with the Board anticipating new real estate guidelines after July 1. For the time being, orders by the Public Health Office regarding the number of people who may attend showings remain unchanged and Realtors must continue to follow BCREA guidelines for Safer Showings During the COVID-19 Pandemic, as well as BCREA protocols set out in the COVID-19 Safe Practices Checklist for Managing Brokers.
It is our shared duty and obligation to continue to practice all COVID-19 safety protocols. In summary, and as a reminder, private showings must only take place following these strict safety measures:
- Showings are restricted to a maximum of six people, subject to each person present being able to keep two metres away from every other person present at all times;
- Masks and gloves must be worn by the visitors including the buyers, sellers and agents attending;
- No visitor is permitted to touch any object or surface of the home;
- Any opening of doors, windows or cupboards must be done by the seller or the seller’s agent; and
- Sellers are advised to carry out thorough cleaning and sanitizing prior to and following a showing of the home.
Furthermore, on the overall issue of in-person open houses, our guidance to you remains consistent with our eMemo of November 6, 2020 as well as our eMemo of November 7, our eMemo of November 9 and our eMemo of January 22. In these memos, we stated that members should refrain from holding in-person open houses and instead, implement virtual tours/showings as much as possible.
We each have an important role to play, and what we do now as a collective at this critical stage, will give us the best chance at reaching the milestones as set out in the Provincial Restart Plan. Now is the time to stay the course as we look ahead with hope towards a new normal, bringing greater freedoms to serve our members and clients, and to expand our social circles.
On behalf of the FVREB Board of Directors, the staff and management team, I would like to express my gratitude to our members for your enduring and unwavering commitment to guiding, advising and protecting your clients and their interests – including their health and safety – during these immensely challenging times.
Should you need further guidance, please contact your managing broker or the Board office.
Have a good weekend and stay safe.
Additional COVID-19 resources: