by Baldev S. Gill, Chief Executive Officer
FVREB is pleased to announce the establishment of a Bylaw Advisory Panel for a period of up to eight months (to coincide with the March 2021 AGM) to assist and guide FVREB’s Governance Committee by reviewing and redrafting FVREB bylaws.
The objective of the Panel will be to align FVREB’s bylaws to current Not-For-Profit (NFP) corporate practices and harmonize FVREB’s bylaws to those of BCREA and CREA as reasonably possible while adhering to the provisions of the Societies Act and its Regulations.
The purpose of the Bylaw Advisory Panel will be to review, deliberate, and amend FVREB bylaws, and to advance its findings and advice in the form of redrafted bylaws to the Governance Committee not later than November 30, 2020.
The Panel and its respective members will remain available to support the work of the Governance Committee and/or the Board of Directors and may be called upon to contribute to and facilitate eventual membership consideration at the FVREB’s March 2021 AGM.
- Required skills and requirements of Bylaw Advisory Panel members include:
- License from the RECBC;
- Experience or aptitude to serve on not-for-profit Committees;
- Experience or familiarity with the purpose and construct of bylaws, and good governance practices;
- Appreciation of FVREB’s strategic directions;
- Knowledge and understanding of the workings of organized real estate, having appreciation for the roles of jurisdictional Boards and Associations (BCREA, CREA);
- Business acumen;
- Ability to communicate effectively and to synthesize substantial subject content; and,
- Ability to devote an average of not less than three hours per week for the period ending November 30, 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Governance Committee delegates the following responsibilities to the Bylaw Advisory Panel, which will act in an advisory capacity to the Governance Committee by performing the following:
- Review current bylaws and identify areas requiring revision or attention.
- Solicit and receive input from the Governance Committee and Board Officers.
- Collaborate with legal counsel, other delegated experts, and Board staff in the design of modified updated bylaws.
- As necessary, consult with and incorporate Governance Committee feedback.
- Recommend and deliver comprehensive set of reviewed/revised bylaws for consideration by the Governance Committee not later than November 30, 2020.
- Subsequent to initial drafting and delivery, remain available to consult with and adapt to Governance Committee and Board of Directors requests as may be necessary.
- At the invitation of the Governance Committee, assist in matters relating to the dissemination and explanation of draft revised bylaws including membership communiqués and presentations.
- Resolve issues and provide guidance through all phases of development.
- Perform other related tasks and responsibilities that may emerge in the pursuit of its objectives or as requested by the Governance Committee.
FVREB encourages qualified members to submit their own names, or nominate others who they feel meet the qualifications and requirements of the Bylaw Advisory Panel as outlined above. To submit a nomination, please email Irene Wyper, FVREB Executive Assistant.
Nominations will be accepted until close of business on August 24, 2020. Further details regarding the specific Terms of Reference (TOR) pertaining to the Panel, can be found here.