by Baldev S. Gill, Chief Executive Officer
The John Armeneau Award, the highest honour FVREB can bestow upon a member, started off as the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board Professional of the Year Award, which was created in 1985.
In 1992, John Armeneau, a member of the Board from 1972 to 1996, was the seventh board member to receive the Award, which was subsequently renamed the John Armeneau Professional Award after he passed away.
John epitomized what it meant to be a professional REALTOR®, and the Award was renamed as a tribute to him, recognizing the spirit, passion, dedication, determination, and commitment John brought, not only to the profession, but also to the community at large.
Each year since 1992, we have continued to recognize one member who makes our profession shine with the John Armeneau Professional of the Year award. In the past three years, Chris Whitehead, Dan Corsie and Ray Yenkana have all received this award.
This prestigious award is presented annually to a Fraser Valley Real Estate Board member who demonstrates outstanding leadership and dedication to the real estate industry.
A panel of judges, including past Award recipients and the President, carefully review each nomination. The formal presentation of the John Armeneau Professional of the Year Award takes place annually at the FVREB’s Annual General Meeting.
Nominees should possess the following key qualities:
- project a positive professional image of the real estate industry and display high standards of professionalism and business ethics;
- display courtesy and willingness to cooperate with REALTORS®;
- be passionate about the advancement of the profession;
- show initiative and leadership through actions that bring a lasting benefit to the membership and/or the profession (e.g., sharing of time and experience with others);
- be knowledgeable and stay updated on key changes within the industry, i.e. attend seminars, conferences, events and well-versed on trends and news affecting their profession;
- be held in high regard and respect by their peers;
- act as a respected ambassador for the industry and the profession;
- be involved in organized real estate (e.g. Canadian Real Estate Association, British Columbia Real Estate Association, Real Estate Council of BC, or the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board);
- be involved directly or indirectly with the communities in which they reside or work and make a positive impact; and
- be a member in good standing of the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board.
A panel of judges, including past Award recipients and the President, carefully review each nomination and the formal presentation takes place at the FVREB Annual General Meeting.
Past recipients of the John Armeneau Professional Award
Chris Whitehead, Dan Corsie, Ray Yenkana, Stewart Henderson, Len Doray, Rick Dubord, Bonnie Moy, Cal Crawford, Len Visser, Kelvin Neufeld, Bridget Houghton, Marylou Leslie, David Rishel, Dougal Shewan, David Herman, Ken Cowie, Arvind Nair, Dan Bennett, Dennis Wilson, Bhim Sen Nair, Bob Johnston, Doug Watkins, Jim McCaughan, Bernice Goddard, Gloria Loucks, Denise Stevenson, Paul Goddard, George Jacobs, John Armeneau, Don Shannon, Dwain Johnson, Don Donson, Dave Penn, Evan Brett and Al Terry.