by Baldev S. Gill, Chief Executive Officer
Today’s eMemo contains the following updates:
- The British Columbia Real Estate Association (BCREA), the Real Estate Council of BC (RECBC), and the Office of the Superintendent of Real Estate (OSRE) have reached an agreement on recommended safety guidelines for Open Houses during Phase 3 of BC’s Restart Plan.
- BCREA has shared the new guidelines with all of BC’s 23,000 REALTORS®.
- In conjunction, the Fraser Valley, Greater Vancouver, Chilliwack and District, and BC Northern real estate boards have reactivated the Open House feature on Paragon effective, July 7, 2020. Note: The workflow to add an Open House to a listing has changed.
BC organized real estate and regulators reach agreement re: Open Houses
Today, Managing Brokers and members have received guidelines drafted by BCREA, RECBC and OSRE regarding the risks of offering Open Houses during the current reopening phase of COVID-19. These guidelines were prepared in coordination with WorkSafeBC.
The recommendations, detailed in over six pages, are user-friendly and written from a REALTOR®’s perspective. In summary, you are being asked to:
- Understand your responsibilities to keep your clients and the public safe
- Keep your in-person interactions to 65% of pre-COVID levels
- Guide your clients on the risks of holding Open Houses
- Use your professional judgment by limiting viewings to pre-screened, pre-qualified buyers
- Ensure all personal protection equipment protocols and home cleaning protocols are being adhered to
The guidelines are in keeping with our recommendations from Paul Cowhig, FVREB Professional Standard’s Advisor. They clarify that Open Houses are allowed but, caution their use and strongly encourage members to rely on virtual interactions at every opportunity and minimize in-person interactions.
Open House functionality reactivated
In conjunction with the new guidelines, the Lower Mainland Boards and BC Northern, have reactivated the Open House function on Paragon. The function was disabled in March in response to BC’s State of Emergency.
This means that effective now, you can enter Open Houses when you are entering or submitting your listing and they will be sent to REALTOR.ca.
Note: The workflow has changed due to the ability to add either an In-Person or Live Stream Open House. To add an In-Person Open House, after you click on the Add New button:
- Ensure the Live Stream box is UNCHECKED
- Ensure you leave the Live Stream URL field EMPTY
Click here for instructions with screen shots.
Continued responsibility to protect the public
As a non-health essential service, it is an honour and a privilege for Realtors to be able to continue to serve the public during this very challenging time.
Please follow these guidelines to continue to guide, advise and protect your clients accordingly, when considering holding an Open House.
For BCREA’s Rethinking “Open Houses” During the Pandemic guidelines, click on the following link: