During the election campaign, volunteers on the Board’s Government Relations (GR) committee found themselves as much a part of the election as the candidates themselves. The group of Fraser Valley Realtors joined 10 virtual all-candidates’ meetings hosted by local chambers and the Surrey Board of Trade over a span of only three weeks. On some days, there were three election meetings in one day. Thanks to our volunteers, FVREB’s presence was felt in each meeting, through the delivery of opening remarks and questions on topical real estate issues directed at the candidates.
Hopefully, you were able to join them in one of the virtual events to help you decide on the candidate to support.
Preliminary FVREB area election results:*
Here are the key changes in our 16 ridings:
- Two of the Abbotsford ridings (Abbotsford-West and Abbotsford-Mission) look like they will remain BC Liberal territory, although there’s a close race in Abbotsford-Mission, where the BC Liberals’ Simon Gibson is leading the NDP’s Pam Alexis by less than 200 votes.
- The Abbotsford-South riding formerly held by independent MLA and Speaker of the Legislative Assembly Darryl Plecas looks like it will be filled by former City of Abbotsford Mayor Bruce Banman, representing the BC Liberals.
- The two Langley ridings are leaning NDP, with the BC Liberals’ Mary Polak poised to lose her seat to challenger NDP candidate Andrew Mercier in the Langley riding and Megan Dykeman of the NDP leading BC Liberal candidate Margaret Kunst by less than 800 votes.
- The Surrey ridings will continue to be represented by NDP MLAs except for the Surrey-South and Surrey-White Rock ridings, which remained with the BC Liberals. The Surrey-Cloverdale riding formerly held by incumbent BC Liberal candidate Marvin Hunt, will be represented by Mike Starchuk of the NDP.
* Here’s a list showing where the top three candidates in each FVREB area riding stand as of October 28, according to Elections BC. Please note that the successful candidate in some of the closer races (e. g. Abbotsford-Mission and Langley-East) could change once the final ballots (e. g. mail-ins) have been counted. The final election results are expected by the middle of November.
|Riding:||Candidates (leaders are bolded):||Votes Received (so far):|
|Abbotsford South||Bruce Banman (Liberal)
Aird Flavelle (Green)
Inder Johal (NDP)
|Abbotsford West||Michael de Jong (Liberal)
Michael Henshall (Conservative)
Preet Rai (NDP)
|Abbotsford Mission||Pam Alexis (NDP)
Stephen Fowler (Green)
Simon Gibson (Liberal)
|Delta North||Ravi Kahlon (NDP)
Neema Manral (Green)
Jet Sunner (Liberal)
|Langley||Bill Masse (Green)
Andrew Mercier (NDP)
Mary Polak (Liberal)
|Langley East||Megan Dykeman (NDP)
Margaret Kunst (Liberal)
Ryan Warawa (Conservative)
|Maple Ridge-Mission||Bob D’Eith (NDP)
Chelsa Meadus (Liberal)
Matt Trenholm (Green)
|Surrey Cloverdale||Marvin Hunt (Liberal)
Rebecca Smith (Green)
Mike Starchuk (NDP)
|Surrey Fleetwood||Jagrup Brar (NDP)
Dean McGee (Green)
Garry Thind (Liberal)
|Surrey Green Timbers||Dilraj Atwal (Liberal)
Rachna Singh (NDP)
|Surrey Guildford||Garry Begg (NDP)
Dave Hans (Liberal)
Jodi Murphy (Green)
|Surrey Newton||Harry Bains (NDP)
Paul Boparai (Liberal)
Asad Syed (Green)
|Surrey Panorama||Gulzar Cheema (Liberal)
Sophie Shrestha (BC Vision)
Jinny Sims (NDP)
|Surrey South||Stephanie Cadieux (Liberal)
Pauline Greaves (NDP)
Tim Ibbotson (Green)
|Surrey Whalley||Jag Bhandari (BC Vision)
Shaukat Khan (Liberal)
Bruce Ralston (NDP)
|Surrey White Rock||Trevor Halford (Liberal)
Beverly (Pixie) Hobby (Green)
Bryn Smith (NDP)
In the coming weeks, the GR volunteers will be preparing to hold the MLAs’ “feet to the fire” as noted by Joel Schacter, Director and Chair of our GR committee.
Source: FVREB Communications